Wednesday 10 October 2012

Thoughts on NaNoWriMo, or, "Why I am Not Participating in NaNoWriMo This Year But Wishing All the Participants Happy Thoughts and Good Things"

No, it's not a foreign language! Some of you have probably heard of / participate in NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month... And for those of you who haven't heard of it, or am thinking I am speaking gibberish with lots of "N's" in it, NaNoWriMo is where writers from all around the world try to write a 50,000 word (or more) novel in one month - the month of November. You can check out the website here...it's pretty cool! I believe I first heard about it from my dear friend Talia.

Last year I kinda wanted to participate in this amazing month of crafting a novel, but I was busy with a homeschool concert at the time, so I told myself, "I'll do it next year." Well, "next year" is here...and it looks like I'll be waiting 'til "next year" again...for two (and a half) reasons.

          1. I'm a high-schooler. :p Sadly, I don't think my school schedule will allow me to take a vacation in NaNoWriMo style - "Thirty days and nights of literary abandon!" as the website explains. (By the way... isn't that such an inspiring description? It makes you wanna sign up! Right then and there!)
          2. I have worked the same series to pieces* (or perhaps, to eventual completion) for the past 4 and a half years(!?). And during those 4 1/2 years, with a few minor deviations, several cases of writer's block in varying degrees of severity and a couple major detours, I have focused on writing, editing, developing and giving quality time to that same series. So basically, this means: I have zero ideas for a new novel. No ideas whatsoever. Not even a whatchamacallit of the series (It's 10:27 PM...not that that's any excuse...but I can't remember the name of a book that is inspired by but deviates from the original book).
                    Subpoint 2.5 Q. Are you sure you don't have any ideas? A. At the moment, yes. Basically, when I get an idea for a book, I write it. I start the book. And since NaNoWriMo requires a novel that has not yet been born (although I believe the website says storylines, character sketches and stuff are fine), I have nada. Nothing.
* Oh no, it rhymes! But it's funny, so I'm not going to edit it out. :p
(You just read the fine print, didn't you?)

And yes, I do know that there is a set-your-own-goal version of NaNoWriMo... It looks neato too, and you can check it out, too! I guess it's something to consider, but at the moment I'm just ridiculously busy. This blog and my other one keep me busy. So do my {many} characters, accumulated over the course of 5 novels. They tell me I don't spend enough time with them anymore, and they tell me that if I start a new novel, they will feel cheated. :p

However, I think NaNoWriMo looks like a completely amazing opportunity and I want to wish all participants inspiration, passion, ideas and of course, time to get all that good stuff written down. :)

To you (yes, you!): Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? What are you thoughts on the matter? :) Also, maybe one (or more) of you participants would be interested in guest posting about your experience once November rolls around?

-- Klara C.

1 comment:

  1. My feet are cold...
    {anyway, if you want I'll guest post for you about my pie-ish-y experience of NaNoMoWri! Just email me about it.}

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment, it will make me smile! Feel free to ask questions, agree or disagree, write me a poem, or whatever...just keep it kind. :)