Sunday 24 March 2013

Un-Inspiration

noun... meaning: lack of inspiration; the act of being uninspired. Without... "stimulation", according to the dictionary.


Writing used to seem so simple. I would type as the ideas flowed from my head, heedless of grammar mistakes or lack of character development, ignorant of climaxes or passive vs. active writing. It seemed as if the ideas came unbidden and uncalled, but welcome nonetheless, inviting themselves into my writing and taking shape, almost of their own accord. I never bothered to edit my stories, and became offended when anyone attempted to help me.

The characters danced in my head. They called out to me to play with them, to write them. The toys I played with came alive in my stories; they allowed me to give them voices and personalities, and give them a world to live in.

Now things have changed. Thankfully,  learned to accept and even invite and request "constructive criticism". I allow myself to be critical of my own writing because I know that's the only way I will be able to make it better. I am self-conscious of my grammar, but I enjoy figuring out how to say something in a grammatically correct manner. I attempt to use active voice ("Looking around, her eyes glanced around the room before judging it safe.") instead of passive voice ("She was frightened. She wasn't sure what to do..."). I edit my books multiple times, sometimes disallowing readers until I at least have a first draft whose writing isn't too unbearable or embarrassing.

But my characters are still with me. I may not find inspiration from my toys anymore, but the characters still come calling. I admire someone in a movie; suddenly the character on the screen, mixed with other personalities and qualities, remakes himself as someone who can become my own, someone I can mold and shape. Or, a gentleman in a book snatches at my heart and inspires me to make a character who is similar, yet can stand on his own two feet.

Several a months ago, they vanished.

In the past I have been blessed with writing which, for the most part, remained writer's-block-free. Around November / December 2012, my writing became silent. My characters still existed on my pages and in my mind, but I couldn't seem to write like I used to. I managed to type out a few scenes and here and there, but I felt lifeless and completely uninspired.

Slowly, I am grateful to tell you, they are returning. Like the prodigal son on his long journey home, the characters are trickling back in, smiling and laughing with me just like they used to. I am so happy to see them all again... I missed them. :)

So, why am I bothering to tell you all this? Maybe it helps me to type out my thoughts. Maybe you've gone through a trying case of writer's block, or you're experiencing a lack of inspiration right now. Maybe I thought I'd attempt to write something deep, and this post was the result.

I just want to tell you, please don't give up! :) I know that writing isn't always easy. Characters aren't always cooperative. :) Sometimes the words just won't come. That's okay; it's a process. You might work for years on a book and eventually abandon it. That's okay; you learned something through writing. Even if a book or story is never published or never finished, the writing of it has most likely helped you in one way or another, weather you realize it or not. Maybe you've decided writing "isn't for you". That's okay, not everyone enjoys writing... but please don't ever feel afraid to pick up the pen (or the computer) if you ever feel the urge to write once more.


And yes, I am aware I sound a bit crazed in this post... believe me, it's figurative. I know my characters don't physically knock on my door and come in for a tea party. :) And if I sound a bit down, don't worry about me... I'm listening to melancholy music and trying to sound like a smart-fart, that's all. :)

How is your writing faring?

Sincera,
Klara

2 comments:

  1. I had to take a long break from writing and when I came back, the scenes and characters came back dull and un-exciting. I just recently got them back and I'm having one of those nights where it seems I could write forever and not bore my reader. :)
    Anyway, I'm so glad your characters are coming back! I know how frustrating it is to have writer's block.
    Love!
    ~Madeline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madeline! Thanks so much for your comment / condolences ;)
      I'm so glad your characters have returned to you as well!!! I hope they aren't too problematic. :)

      Delete

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment, it will make me smile! Feel free to ask questions, agree or disagree, write me a poem, or whatever...just keep it kind. :)